Residential Rental Agreement
This rental (the "Rental") dated this of , is by and between [LandLord.Name] (the "Landlord") and [Tentant.Name] (the "Tenant").
In consideration of the Landlord renting the below listed property to the Tenant, the Tenant renting the property from the Landlord, and the benefits, responsibilities, and restrictions listed in this rental agreement, all parties listed above agree to the following terms:
A) Rented Property
- Landlord agrees to rent the property located at [Property.Street] [Property.City], [Property.State] [Property.Zip] (the "Property") to the Tenant for use as a residential accommodation. Tenant agrees to use the Property solely as a single-family place of residence for themselves, their dependents, and additional occupants approved by the Landlord. Furthermore, Tenant agrees not to use the Property as a place of business or commercial operation.
- Tenant agrees not to allow any individuals to reside at the Property, unless they are (a) the Tenant's direct dependents, or (b) have been approved as additional occupants by the Landlord in writing.
- Landlord acknowledges that Tenant has a right to allow guests at the Property from time to time. Thus, Tenant may allow guests into the Property for up to fourteen (14) consecutive days without requiring written consent from the Landlord. Guests residing at the Property for longer than fourteen (14) days may only do so with prior written consent from the Landlord.
- The Landlord acknowledges and approves the following animals or pets for residence at the Property, pursuant to the additional terms of this rental agreement:
- Smoking is prohibited inside the Property at all times. Tenant agrees not to smoke inside the Property's interior structure, and acknowledges the responsibility to prevent any dependents or guests from smoking inside the property at any time.
- The term of this rental agreement begins on [Agreement.StartDate] and ends at [Agreement.EndDate]. Occupancy of the Property by the Tenant or their dependents past this date will require an additional rental agreement, or an addendum to this agreement extending it's effective date.
- The monthly rent for the Property is $500 per month.
- The Tenant is responsible for delivering monthly rent in full on or before the 1st business day of each month each month during the terms of this rental agreement.
- The Tenant agrees to pay a $25.00 late fee for any monthly rent delivered on or after the 2nd business day of each month.
D) Security & Pet Deposits
- Prior to commencing residence at the Property, Tenant agrees to pay the following deposits:
- $[Deposit.Amount] refundable security deposit
- $[PetDeposit.Amount] non-refundable pet deposit
- The Landlord agrees to return any refundable deposits listed at the conclusion of Tenant's occupancy of the Property.
- The Landlord reserves the right to make deductions from any refundable deposits listed for the following reasons:
- Repair of walls due to damage beyond normal wear and tear
- Painting required for damage beyond normal wear and tear
- Plumbing or plumbing fixture repairs
- Replacement or repair of windows, doors, screens, or other fixtures
- Repair to floor coverings beyond normal wear and tear
- Any additional repairs, cleaning, or remediation beyond normal wear and tear cause by tenant misuse or neglect during occupancy.
E) Quiet Enjoyment
- The Landlord agrees to allow the Tenant to peacefully and quietly occupy the Property listed in this agreement in consideration of monthly rent & any associated fees.
- The Landlord reserves the right to conduct periodic inspections of the Property throughout the duration of the rental agreement.
G) Property Modifications
- The tenant agrees to refrain from performing any construction, remodeling, additions, or other modifications or improvements to the Property without prior written consent from the Owner.
- The Tenant is solely responsible for arrangement for utility services and payment of fees associated with such services, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Garbage Collection
- The Tenant acknowledges that the Landlord's property insurance does not cover the Tenant's personal property. The Landlord accepts no liability for damage or loss to the Tenant's personal property for any reason. The Tenant acknlowledges their responsibility to obtain appropriate Renters' Insurance to protect the value of their personal belongings.
- If Tenant chooses to abandon the Property at any time during the lease, the Landlord reserves the right to enter the property without consent.
- The Landlord reserves the right to dispose of any personal belongings left behind by the tenant, and furthermore reserves the right to rent the Property to additional occupants, and hold the Tenant financially responsible for any difference between the monthly rent that would have been paid under this rental agreement, and the rental payment under any additional rental agreements with subsequent Property occupants.
K) Governing Law
- It is intended that this rental agreement be conducted and executed fully in accordance with the laws of the State of [Property.State].
L) Legal Fees
- In the event that any legal action is filed in relation to this rental agreement, both Tenant and Landlord agree that the successful party's legal fees and associated costs will be fully reimbursed by the other party.
- Any amendments, extensions, or other modifications to this rental agreement will require written approval by both the Tenant and Landlord in order to be considered valid.
N) Property Maintenance
- Tenant agrees to perform reasonable maintenance to keep the Property in a generally acceptable condition throughout the term of this rental agreement.
- Major maintenance or repairs not associated with the Tenant's neglect or misuse of the Property will be the sole financial responsibility of the Landlord.
- The Tenant agrees to perform reasonable maintenance and upkeep of the Property's lawn, parking areas, sidewalks, driveways, and other exterior areas.
O) General Property Use
- The Tenant will not conduct any illegal activity on the Property at any time.
- The Tenant will maintain the Property in an orderly and presentable fashion at all times.
- The Tenant will not allow any noise or nuisance that disturbs occupants of adjacent properties.
- The Tenant agrees not to leave the Property unattended for longer than seven (7) consecutive days.
- At the conclusion of this rental agreement, Tenant agrees to cease occupance and return the Property fully to the Landlord in a condition equal to when the Property was initially occupied by the Tenant.
P) Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Landlord agrees to provide functional Carbon Monoxide Alarms, placed appropriately within the Property. The Landlord will ensure the continued operation of these alarms during subsequent inspections of the Property.
- The Tenant will conduct monthly tests of all Carbon Monoxide alarms, and will immediately notify the Landlord of any damaged or non-functioning alarms.
- No individual will damage, modify, or otherwise disable any Carbon Monoxide Alarms located within the Property.
Q) Hazardous Materials
- The Tenant agrees not to store or keep any hazardous materials on the Property at any time beyond those generally acceptable for household use.
- Tenant may be contacted at the above listed Property's address for any matter related to this rental agreement, or by phone at [Tenant.Phone].
- Landlord may be contacted by mail at [Landlord.Street] [Landlord.City], [Landlord.State] [Landlord.Zip], or by phone at [Landlord.Phone].
S) Additional Provisions
- All monthly rent and fees will be paid in U.S. Dollars.
- Any waiver by the Landlord of Tenant's failure to uphold any aspect of this rental agreement should not be construed as approval of or waiver of subsequent agreement violations, defaults, or other defaults.
- No locks may be added or modified on the Property's interior or exterior without prior written consent from the Landlord.
- In the event of a payment for monthly rent being cancelled by the Tenant's financial institution due to insufficient funds, Tenant agrees to pay a fee of $25.00 to the Landlord in addition to any late fees.
- This rental agreement represents the entire agreement between the Landlord and Tenant. Any other communications prior to the commencement date of this agreement are considered invalid.
- The Tenant will indemnify and hold the Landlord harmless from all liabilities, fines, lawsuits, claims, or other actions arising from the Tenant's activities while an occupant of the Property.
- The Tenant agrees that the Landlord will not be held liable for any injury, theft, or death that occurs during the Tenant's occupancy of the Property.
- For purposes of calculating monthly rental due dates and associated late fees, all calendar days will be considered business days, with the exception of Saturdays, Sundays, and U.S. National Holidays.
Approval & Signature
In witness whereof, both parties duly affix their signatures and agree to abide by the terms of this rental agreement.
The following additional occupants are approved to occupy the Property throughout the duration of this rental agreement.