Room Rental Agreement Template
This Room Rental Agreement is being made between Homeowner Name (“Homeowner”) and Renter Name (“Renter”). It is a legally binding agreement that sets forth the rights and obligations of the Parties and is intended to promote household harmony.
Renter is renting from Homeowner a room in the residence located at address (“Home”).
- Term of rental. This Room Rental Agreement is on a month-to-month basis beginning on start date. If this Room Rental Agreement starts partway through the month, the first month’s rent will be prorated and the month-to-month terms will then proceed from the 1st day of each month.
- Termination. Either Party may terminate this Agreement with 30 days written notice personally delivered to the other Party. Homeowner may terminate this Agreement with seven (7) days written notice (and a seven-day period to cure) if the Renter is in default under this Room Rental Agreement.
- Rent and security deposit. Monthly rent to be paid by Renter to Homeowner is $rent per month, due on or before the 1st day of each calendar month during the term of this Room Rental Agreement. The first and last month’s rent must be paid in advance upon the signing of this Room Rental Agreement. If this Room Rental Agreement begins partway through the month, the first month’s rent will be prorated. Rent must be paid in cash, money order, or cashier’s check. In addition, Renter will pay Homeowner a security deposit of $security deposit as security for any damages to the House caused by Renter. The Security Deposit will be returned to Renter within days for deposit return of termination of this Room Rental Agreement, less any deductions for damages, with an accompanying itemized statement explaining any deductions.
- Utilities. Rent includes utilities, except as indicated below. Renter will be responsible for payment of the following percentages of monthly utility bills:
- Gas/Electricity –
- Water –
- Garbage –
- Phone –
- Internet –
- Cable/Satellite TV –
- Other –
- Household rules.
- Bedroom assignment:
- Kitchen Use:
- Cleaning duties:
- Appliance use (washer, drying, etc.):
- Common area use:
- Telephone/internet use:
- Study/quiet hours:
- Alcohol/drug use:
- Overnight guests:
- Sharing of personal items:
- Conflict resolution. In the interest of household harmony, the Parties each agree to make reasonable efforts to maintain a peaceful environment within the House work together to resolve any differences.
- Additional terms. Additional terms to this Room Rental Agreement are the following:
- Modifications. This Room Rental Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the Parties and cannot be changed unless both agree in writing to do so. There are not any understandings or representations that contradict any terms in this document.
Signed and agreed to by the Parties as dated below.
MM / DD / YYYY
MM / DD / YYYY