How to add digital signatures to PDF documents
You’ll need to follow some general steps before you can sign documents digitally.
First, you’ll need a digital certificate, either from a registered provider or through a self-sign service.
You cannot add a digital signature to a PDF file without a certificate.
You’ll also need access to an app that allows you to add digital signatures to your documents. Simple tools like Windows Microsoft Word or Adobe Reader can achieve this.
Alternatively, you might want to opt for a more feature-rich solution that offers advanced document management capabilities.
It’s usually possible to configure the software, such as by setting a visual signature to display at the bottom of a document whenever you sign (along with your digital signature), so you should familiarize yourself with all the options and set your preferences.
How to add a digital signature to a PDF document with Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Acrobat is one of the most popular apps for adding digital signatures to PDF documents. Follow the steps below to add a signature:
- Open your document in Adobe Acrobat.
- Click the Tools tab and scroll down to the Forms and Certificates section. Select Open from the Certificates dropdown menu.
- Click on Digitally Sign from the new options bar.
- Select the digital signature you want to use and click Continue. If you have not yet added a digital signature certificate to Adobe Acrobat, select Configure New Digital ID and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Configure the appearance of the signature and select Sign.
How to add a digital signature to a PDF document with PandaDoc
If you’re using PandaDoc, here’s how to add digital signatures to your documents:
- Log in to your PandaDoc account. Upload a new PDF by selecting New Document > Upload or select an existing file from the Documents tab on the right of the screen.
- Open the Content > Fields tab. Drag the Signature field to the relevant place in the PDF.
- Double click on your new field and follow the on-screen prompts to add your signature.
Why not opt for a dedicated solution?
Adding digital signatures to PDFs is much easier with a dedicated app. A solution like PandaDoc allows you to upload, store, and track all of your PDF documents from one secure dashboard.
Adding signatures to PDFs takes only a few clicks, and all recipient signatures and signed documents are stored safely on our secure servers.
You can take advantage of a free trial on any of our premium packages. We also have a forever-free electronic signature plan, the only solution in the industry to offer unlimited document uploads and e-signatures with no strings attached.