How to add a signature to Google Docs
Google Docs is quickly becoming one of the world’s most popular word processors. The simplicity and intuitiveness of Google Drive and Docs have made it a favorite among individuals and businesses of any size. The fact that it’s free doesn’t hurt either.
What a lot of people don’t know is that it’s possible to add electronic signatures to your Google Docs. As more companies and individuals opt for virtual signatures – doing away with the burdensome process of hand-signing documents – this is an immensely useful feature to have.
So if you’ve ever wondered how to quickly and easily add signatures to Google Docs, keep reading.
How to add an electronic signature to Google Docs
To add an eSignature to your Google Docs document, we will use the “Drawing” tool. Just follow the simple steps below:
- Get started by placing your cursor in the area where you want the signature.
- Select Insert on the top toolbar and click Drawing… and + New.
- Select Scribble from the Line drop-down and hand-write your signature.
- Alternatively, you can input and format a typed signature using the Text box tool.
- Click Save and close.
- The image will be available for later use without the need to redraw it.
You can now also choose to download the document in a PDF or Microsoft Word format using the File and Download as options.
How to sign Google Docs with PandaDoc
While the draw tool offers basic functionality, many will want a more secure, legally binding solution. This is where add-ons can help. A third-party tool like PandaDoc will automatically create a signature certificate – including the time and date of the signature – which can then be forwarded to the original sender along with the signed document.
Follow these steps to add your signature to your Google Docs document with PandaDoc:
- Install and configure the PandaDoc add-on for Google Docs using the Chrome add-on store. We’ll walk you through the configuration process.
- In Google Docs, select Add-ons from the dropdown and click PandaDoc and Sign with PandaDoc.
- Log into your PandaDoc account with your username and password. Then a dialogue box will appear on the right side of the screen in your Google Docs document. You can do this by connecting your Google account.
- Click Create Your Signature.
- Select either Next: Add other people to sign if you want the email forwarded for more signatures or I just want to sign it on my own if you are the sole signatory.
- Click Forward a signed copy to send the signed document to the relevant recipients.
Launch Google Docs and get signing, sending and tracking documents. Try it now with a free PandaDoc 14-day trial.