Wet signatures: what are they and when are they required?
What is a wet signature?
A “wet”, “pen-and-ink” or physical signature is simply a handwritten mark of approval. Whenever a person directly signs a hard copy of a document like a contract or a proposal with a pen, they’ve applied a wet signature.
Signatures are usually stylized cursive forms of the signer’s name.
Wet signatures are recognized by most people across the world as a way of approving documents, and most will have their own unique signatures.
Signatures are meant to be unique to each individual, thus acting as proof that they have signed a document if confirmation is required at a later date.
Most jurisdictions around the world recognize the legally-binding nature of pen-and-ink signatures in some form.
Secondary criteria may be required, such as that documents are signed in the presence of a witness or notary to prevent forgeries.
How do you add a wet signature to a PDF?
Begin by scanning an image of your wet signature onto your computer. You can then add it to documents like PDFs.
- Open your PDF document in Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.
- Select Tools > Fill & Sign.
- Select Fill & Sign from the new window that appears.
- Select the Sign Icon from the toolbar at the top of the screen and click Add Signature.
- A pop-up will appear with three options: Type, Draw, and Image. Select the image option (or one of the other options) and upload your signature.
- Click Apply. Move and resize the image according to your specifications.
How do you add a wet signature to PandaDoc?
Follow the instructions below to add a wet signature to a document in PandaDoc. You will need to have a copy of your signature saved on your computer.
- Log into your PandaDoc account.
- Select the Documents tab from the sidebar on the left of the screen. Open an existing document or click Create > Upload to upload a new one.
- In the document editor, select the Content tab from the toolbar on the right and open the Fields menu.
- Click on the Signature option and drag it to the relevant area in the document.
- Once you have placed the Signature field, click on it to open a pop-up box. You should see four options: Draw, Type, Upload, and My Signature.
- Once you have uploaded your image or created a new signature, click Accept and Sign.
A solution like PandaDoc will provide you with everything you need to create electronic forms, add signatures, and track documents. Why not try our free document management plan to see if we’re a fit?